In crisis now? DIAL 000



How to increase your safety whilst living with your partner and prepare to leave the relationship if you choose to do so.

1g. Support services/groups for women experiencing or recovering from domestic violence

Est. read time: 3 min



This telephone service offers confidential counselling support, information and referral options for anyone impacted by domestic or family violence or sexual assault. It is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

You can find out more at the 1800Respect website.  When it is safe to do so you can contact 1800Respect by phoning them on 1800 737 732 or via web chat.

1800 Respect counsellors are experienced in dealing with situations where the person using violence is still in the house.  The 1800Respect website also gives safety planning tips for what you can do in this situation.

Crisis Care


Crisis Care is a telephone information and counselling service for people in crisis needing urgent help, including those escaping domestic violence. It operates 24 hours, 7 days per week.  When it is safe to do so you can contact Crisis Care by phoning them on (08) 9223 1111 or free call 1800 199 008.  More information can be found at the Crisis Care website.

Women’s Domestic Violence Helpline


The Women’s Domestic Violence Helpline provides support and counselling for women experiencing family and domestic violence.  It is a state wide 24 hour service and can be reached on (08) 9223 1188 or free call 1800 007 339. More information can be found at the Department of Communities website.

Department of Communities’ Family and Domestic Violence Services and Resources Page


The Department of Communities provides a  Family and Domestic Violence Services and Resources page which links to a range of services and resources, including services specific to:

  • CALD people
  • People of diverse sex, sexuality and gender; and
  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
  • Children and young people

Sexual Assault Resource Centre


The Sexual Assault Resource Centre provides a range of free services to people affected by sexual violence.  The Centre can be contacted on (08) 6458 1828 or free call 1800 199 888.

Victims of Crime Reference Group WA


The Victims of Crime Reference Group was established by the Attorney General to address victim-related issues and to help improve justice services to victims of crime in Western Australia.

The website provides a list of resources in WA for urgent assistance and support groups, including the Family Violence Service that provides information and support in dealing with violence in intimate or family relationships.

More information can be found at the Victims of Crime website.



Samaritans is a not for profit organisation working on reducing the suicide rate and promoting the importance of mental health. They provide a 24/7 anonymous crisis support service. This is a generic help and support service, but includes support for domestic violence victims. Their volunteers are trained to provide emotional support and can help you explore your options to come up with solutions.

More information about the crisis support can be found at The Samaritans website or by calling their 24/7 Anonymous Crisis Support on 135 247.

Salvation Army


This is a Christian church based organisation, but welcomes all. It provides personal support for a range of issues, including domestic violence. Can assist with food and clothing, childcare and case management in times of crisis. It does not provide a crisis hotline, but is focussed more on longer-term support. In WA the organisation can provide women with accommodation in its two refuges in Perth and one in Karratha.

More information can be found at the Salvation Army WA website.

Centrecare (Catholic Archdiocese of Perth)


Centrecare is a Catholic not-for-profit community services organisation delivering professional counselling, support mediation and training services throughout Perth, Goldfields, Esperance and South Western regions of WA. It operates a telephone helpline, counselling and help programmes. It offers crisis specific help and long term post crisis support.

More information can be found at the Centrecare website.

Anglicare WA


Anglicare provides support and advocacy to adult victims of family and domestic violence, including:

  • Referral to other relevant agencies
  • Advocacy on victim's behalf to other agencies
  • Support with legal and court proceedings
  • Police liaison
  • Education and information about family and domestic violence, and
  • Emotional support

More information can be found at the Anglicare WA website.

UnitingWA (formally Uniting Care West)


UnitingWA provides free and confidential support to any Aboriginal woman who is experiencing or is at risk of family and domestic violence.  Their Indigenous Family Violence program offers counselling, mediation, advocacy and practical assistance.

More information can be at the UnitingWA website.

Women’s Community Health Network WA


The Women’s Community Health Network WA website provides information about community-based women's health services in WA, and their contact details.  These services offer a wide range of advice and assistance, including medical, counselling, mental health, drug and alcohol support, domestic violence, community workshops and professional training.

Other useful websites


The following websites may also be useful:

Was this article helpful?