In crisis now? DIAL 000



How to increase your safety whilst living with your partner and prepare to leave the relationship if you choose to do so.

1g. Support services/groups for women experiencing or recovering from family and domestic violence

Est. read time: 4 min

Help Lines



This telephone service offers confidential counselling support, information and referral options for anyone impacted by domestic or family violence or sexual assault. It is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

You can find out more at the 1800Respect website.  When it is safe to do so you can contact 1800Respect by phoning them on 1800 737 732 or via web chat.

1800 Respect counsellors are experienced in dealing with situations where the person using violence is still in the house.  The 1800Respect website also gives safety planning tips for what you can do in this situation.

Crisis Care

Crisis Care is a telephone information and counselling service for people in crisis needing urgent help, including those escaping domestic violence. It operates 24 hours, 7 days per week.  When it is safe to do so you can contact Crisis Care by phoning them on (08) 9223 1111 or free call 1800 199 008.  More information can be found at the Crisis Care website.

Women’s Domestic Violence Helpline

The Women’s Domestic Violence Helpline provides support for women, with or without children, experiencing family and domestic violence.  It is a state-wide 24 hour service and can be reached on (08) 9223 1188 or free call 1800 007 339. More information can be found at the Women’s Domestic Violence Helpline website. Support includes information and advice, referral to local advocacy and support services, liaison with police if necessary, assessing the child’s experience if there are children in the family and support in escaping situations of family and domestic violence. The service can refer women to safe accommodation if required. A telephone based interpreting service is available if required.

Family and Domestic Violence Hubs


Family and Domestic Violence Hubs are designed to make it easier for women facing abuse by providing a range of supports and services in one place, often co-located with other community services. This can make it easier to get the help you need and reduces the number of times you have to tell your story.

  • The Naala Djookan Healing Centre works in partnership with a range of community organisations including multicultural and Aboriginal organisations. It offers practical support services to support and empower women such as financial counselling and legal support, as well as a variety of wellness activities designed to create connections and friendships. Naala Djookan is located In Mirrabooka and can be contacted on (08) 9205 7555;
  • The Mara Birni Healing Place provides tailored support considering the individual circumstances of women facing family and domestic violence.  It works with a number of other community organisations to provide specialised family violence services and supports. Services include advocacy and safety planning, practical assistance, family support, creche, weekly activities, legal support, men’s healing and cultural healing. Mara Birni Healing Place is located in Kalgoorlie with a satellite service in Laverton, and can be contacted 0n (08) 6001 7030;
  • Wandjoo Place offers more than 30 family violence services on a rotational basis, including financial, mental health and alcohol and other drug counselling plus programs covering teens, parenting and peer support. Wandjoo Place is based in Merriwa and can be contacted on (08) 9300 0340 or via email to receive the monthly calendar of programs.

Specialist Counselling Services


Counselling from a specialist family and domestic violence counsellor can support you whether you are in an abusive relationship or have left.  It is a safe and non-judgemental space to express and explore your feelings and learn how to develop coping strategies.

Specialist counselling services are offered in Perth and Regional Western Australia including by the following organisations:

  • Centrecare delivers professional counselling, support mediation and training services throughout the Perth metropolitan area, Goldfields, and in rural areas. It operates a telephone helpline, counselling and help programmes;
  • Relationships Australia provides counselling and support services, including people facing family and domestic violence in the Perth metropolitan area and throughout WA from Albany up to Port Hedland;
  • Anglicare’s Recovery After Violence Support program works with women who have faced or are facing family and domestic violence on a medium to long term basis providing support, advocacy, education and referrals. More information about the Recovery After Violence Support and other family and domestic violence services that Anglicare provide can be found on the Anglicare WA website;
  • Uniting WA provides free and confidential support to any Aboriginal woman who is experiencing or is at risk of family and domestic violence.  Their Indigenous Family Violence program offers counselling, mediation, advocacy and practical assistance in Fremantle, Cockburn and Melville. More information can be found on the Uniting WA website or by phoning them on 1300 663 298.

You can find further specialist counselling services, including those in regional locations at the Centre for Women’s Safety and Wellbeing website.

Outreach and Advocacy Services


Outreach programs are available to provide specialist family and domestic violence support in the community.  You do not need to have been in a refuge and outreach workers will meet you in a place that is convenient for you to discuss your needs. You can find details on a wide range of outreach services, including those in regional locations, at the Centre for Women’s Safety and Wellbeing website.

Service Directories


Additional information can be found in the following family and domestic violence service directories:

Other useful websites


The following websites may be useful:

[Article last updated: 5/12/21]


Was this article helpful?